Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men's Soccer Blanks Wheelock

Men's Soccer Blanks Wheelock

BOSTON - The Mitchell College men's soccer team blanked Wheelock College by a 3-0 final on Saturday afternoon in New England Collegiate Conference action. 

The Mariners struck early in the match when David Hernandez received a cross from Jose Roman III and headed it to the back of the net in the 12th minute of play. Wheelock worked to counter four minutes later when Pasulayman Sowe sent a shot towards the goal that was blocked by a Mitchell defender.

The Wildcats had another quality scoring chance when Sam Murray sent a corner kick toward the goal to a streaking Patrick Gomes, who headed the ball just wide of an open goal.

Thirty minutes into the game, the Mariners struck again on a cross set up by Brayan Mora to Wadlet Jean-Baptiste, who sent it to the back of the net. At half, the Mariners led by a 2-0 margin.

Mitchell opened up the second half by putting five shots on goal in the first 10 minutes before Wheelock could record a shot. At the 57:28 mark, Murray lined up for a free kick after a Mitchell foul. He sent the ball toward the net and just hit the bottom of the crossbar to keep the Wildcats off the board.

In the 60th and 61st minutes, Wheelock continued to pressure Mitchell by putting two shots on goal. Mitchell countered with seven shots over the next five minutes, and Wheelock goalie Jordan Bernard kept each one out of the goal while making a pair of diving stops. 

In the 88th minute, Mitchell scored the last goal of the game when Yianni Longinidis netted his first goal of the season on a deflected shot.

Mitchell goalkeeper Seth Strader made nine saves to record his first shutout of the season. Bernard finished with 16 saves.

Mitchell (3-6-1 overall, 2-1-0 NECC) will next play at Salve Regina University on Thursday, October 12 at 3 p.m. Wheelock (0-9-0 overall, 0-3-0 NECC) returns to action at Newbury College on Saturday, October 14 at 3 p.m.