ATLANTA — The Women's Basketball Coaches Association announced today the WBCA Thirty Under 30 presented by Marriott Rewards® honorees for the 2016-17 season, and Mitchell College head coach MaryLynn Skarzenski was among those selected.
The WBCA Thirty Under 30 presented by Marriott Rewards® program was created to recognize 30 up-and-coming women's basketball coaches age 30 and under at all levels of the game. Each honoree has exemplified their involvement in community service, mentorship and impact on others, professional manner, and attitude and professional association involvement.
"The WBCA is pleased to recognize up and coming talent in our coaching family. The 30 coaches who have been named to receive the Thirty Under 30 Award are deserving of this recognition, and the WBCA congratulates them for distinguishing themselves early in their careers," said WBCA Executive Director Danielle Donehew. "These coaches have demonstrated eagerness, effectiveness, loyalty, love of the game, and a commitment to the student-athlete. We celebrate their effort on the basketball court as teachers and equally applaud the extensive role they play in impacting the lives of their student-athletes."
Skarzenski, 29, was one of only five head coaches selected by WBCA. She recently completed her fourth season at the helm of the Mitchell program. She's led the Mariners to New England Collegiate Conference Championship appearances in each of her four seasons, including three trips to the semifinals (2014, 2015, 2016). She holds a career head coaching record of 90-69 over six seasons, the first two coming at Daniel Webster College.
Skarzenski is a 2014 graduate of the NCAA Women Coaches Academy and was a participant in the 2015 WBCA Center for Coaching Excellence. She is in her third year as a member of the NCAA Regional Advisory Committee and her fourth year as a WBCA conference captain.
In addition to her coaching duties, Skarzenski serves as Assistant Athletic Director and Senior Women's Administrator at Mitchell. She also handles all scheduling for Mitchell's 12 varsity programs.
A graduate of Nichols College, Skarzenski recently received her Master's degree in Sports Leadership from Northeastern University in January 2016. She is a member of both the New England Basketball Hall of Fame (2013 inductee) and the Nichols College Hall of Fame (2015 inductee).
As a player at Nichols, Skarzenski started every game of her career and was a four-time CCC All-Conference First Team selection. She was named CCC Player of the Year as a senior and CCC Rookie of the Year as a freshman, and in between she was a two-time CCC Defensive Player of the Year pick. She finished her career ranked fourth all-time in scoring at Nichols with 1,333 points, and she remains the program's all-time leader in assists (641), steals (409) and games started and played (115).
Here are the 2017 WBCA Thirty Under 30 presented by Marriott Rewards® honorees:
• Shaina Afoa, assistant coach, University of Alaska-Anchorage.
• Courtney Boyd, associate head coach, University of Wisconsin-Parkside.
• DeAudra Brown, assistant coach, Seward County Community College.
• Chelsea Carlisle, associate head coach, University of California-San Diego.
• Jessica Cavaco, assistant coach, Fairleigh Dickinson University-Florham.
• Brittany Christian, assistant coach, Northwest Kansas Technical College.
• Lauren DeFalco, assistant coach, Seton Hall University.
• Kathryn DeWitt, head coach, Dordt College.
• Erin Dickerson, associate head coach, Towson University.
• Megan Dzikas, assistant coach, Saint Leo University.
• Alexandria Fuller Simmons, assistant coach, University of Mississippi.
• Danielle Gratton, assistant coach, University of Missouri-Kansas City.
• Shaun Gunnell, assistant coach, University of Rio Grande.
• Hana Haden, head coach, Harris-Stowe State University.
• Neil Harrow, assistant coach, Troy University.
• Cody Hartzler, assistant coach, Baldwin Wallace University.
• Aaron Horn, assistant coach, University of South Dakota.
• Jacie Hoyt, assistant coach, Kansas State University.
• Olivia Lett, assistant coach, University of Chicago.
• Amanda Patton, assistant coach, University of West Florida.
• April Phillips, associate head coach, Loyola Marymount University.
• Kris Seigenthaler, assistant coach, Auburn University-Montgomery.
• Kyley Simmons, assistant coach, University of Sioux Falls.
• MaryLynn Skarzenski, head coach, Mitchell College.
• Kylene Spiegel, head coach, Lawrence Technological University.
• Kimberly Stephens, head coach, Glenville State College.
• Adam Tandez, assistant coach, Northern Illinois University.
• Morgan Toles, assistant coach, Kent State University.
• Cetera Washington, assistant coach, Western Michigan University.
• Caitlin Wetmore, assistant coach, University of North Carolina-Greensboro.
This is the second year of the WBCA Thirty Under 30 presented by Marriott Rewards® program. Please visit www.wbca.org/recognize/ to see a list of honorees.