Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

LAX Rallies Back Late, Tips Mt. St. Vincent in OT

LAX Rallies Back Late, Tips Mt. St. Vincent in OT

BRONX, N.Y. -- Mitchell College overcame a three-goal deficit in the final five minutes of regulation to force overtime on Saturday, setting the stage for a dramatic 12-11 victory over the College of Mt. St. Vincent in non-conference men's lacrosse action at Gaelic Park.

Jacob Anderson potted the game-winning goal with 1:20 remaining in overtime to complete the comeback. It marked his second OT winner of the season, as he clipped Northern Vermont-Lyndon in a similar fashion last Saturday. The rookie turned in a monster game with five goals and one assist to lead the Mariners, who improved to 2-6 overall on the season. 

Anderson wasn't the only Mitchell freshman who contributed to the victory, as Brandon Snyder finished with two goals and three assists for a season-high five points. Kyle Marsh and Jade Shields contributed two goals apiece while Jake Karnes also added a tally.

Mitchell fell behind 2-0 in the opening quarter but scored the first two goals of the second period to even the score. Both goals came off the stick of Anderson, who later completed the hat trick with 1:24 to go before halftime. However, the Dolphins scored with just 11 seconds remaining in the half to take a 6-4 advantage into intermission.

The Mariners pulled even once again at 7-7 in the third following back-to-back goals by Karnes and Anderson. A tally by Patrick Nagy put MSV back in front heading into the final period, and the Dolphins scored three of the first four goals of the fourth to go up 11-8.

Snyder got the comeback started with a goal with 4:45 to play. He then fed Marsh for a score as the Mariners clawed to within one with 2:14 to go. Marsh then tied the game with under a minute remaining in regulation off an assist from Shields.

Both teams had chances to win in the final moments of regulation. Mitchell won the ensuing face-off and produced a shot for Shields, who missed wide. MSV then cleared the ball downfield and got Nagy a look just before time expired. His shot, too, went wide.

Mitchell goalie Marcel Quinlan made a big save in the early stages of OT to keep the game going, the last of his 10 stops in the contest. The Mariners then put three shots on goal on their next offensive possession, and all three were denied by MSV goalie Christian Brody. The Dolphins failed to clear the ball, and Anderson scooped up the ground ball and eventually scored on an unassisted effort.

Mitchell will next host Albertus Magnus College on Wednesday, March 27 at 4 p.m.